Preparation is in Jim’s blood.
“I won’t lose a case because my opponent outworked me.”
Jim Spivey is passionate about landowner rights and represents business, farm and ranch owners in eminent domain and condemnation matters. Jim has represented landowners in condemnation jury trials and over 50 special commissioners’ hearings on high voltage transmission line, pipeline, road expansion, drainage easement and railroad condemnation cases throughout Central and South Texas.
A recognized trial lawyer licensed to practice law in the State of Texas since 1995, Jim also represents clients in business and other civil litigation matters and has tried cases in state and federal court and before arbitration tribunals. Jim’s civil litigation practice focuses on complex business litigation and defending catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases. Jim has represented clients in the health, financial services, technology, and insurance industries in disputes involving breach of contract, common law fraud, securities fraud, fiduciary duty liability, deceptive trade practices, negligence, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death.
Jim Spivey also represents clients in trust and probate litigation.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Texas A&M University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1992
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Co-Owner, Spivey Valenciano, PLLC, May 2012 to present
- Shareholder, Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated, 2001-May 2012
- Associate, Cox & Smith Incorporated, 1995-2001
- San Antonio Scene “S.A. Lawyers – Best of 2014” (Eminent Domain, Business Litigation, Real Estate Litigation)
- San Antonio Bar Association, 1995 – Present
- San Antonio Bar Foundation
- Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association, 2012 – Present
- William S. Sessions American Inn of Court, Member, 2002-2010
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Director, 2008-2011
- State Bar of Texas, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, Chair, 2002-2003
- State Bar of Texas, Council of Chairs, Vice Chair, 2002-2003
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association, Director, 2000-2002
- Defense Counsel of San Antonio, Director, 1999-2003
- “Cross Examination Of Experts In Eminent Domain Cases” (CLE International, 2013 Annual Eminent Domain/Condemnation Seminar, Austin, Texas, March 2013)
- “Towers, Trenches and Tx Dot: Strategies from the Landowner’s Perspective” (with Jim Spivey to San Antonio Real Estate Discussion Group, January 2012)
- “Recent Developments in Eminent Domain Proceedings” (with Jim Spivey at 10th Annual Gas and Power Institute, Houston, Texas, September 2011)
- “Coming Soon to a Town Near You: Eminent Domain, the CREZ Project, the Shale Oil and Gas Boom and Other Takings” (with Jim Spivey to San Antonio Bar Association Natural Resources Section, September 2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent TM Peer Review Rating
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America®, 2010-2012, a publication by Woodward/White, Inc.
- Chambers USA, Leader in their Field, 2006-2007 and 2009-2012
- S.A. Lawyers: Best of 2014, a publication of the San Antonio Scene Magazine
Jim Spivey is an avid hunter and fisherman. He spends his free time with his family on their Texas Hill Country ranch.