Attorney / Partner
Jim Spivey is passionate about landowner rights and represents developers, business, farm and ranch owners in eminent domain and condemnation matters. Jim has represented landowners in condemnation jury trials and nearly 100 Special Commissioners’ hearings in road expansion, high voltage transmission line, school district, pipeline, drainage easement and railroad condemnation cases throughout Central and South Texas. Jim is also a strong advocate in oil and gas litigation matters.
A recognized trial lawyer licensed to practice law in the State of Texas since 1995, Jim also represents clients in select civil litigation matters and has tried cases in state and federal court and before arbitration tribunals.
Jim’s civil litigation practice focuses on complex business litigation and defending catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases. Jim has represented clients in the health, financial services, technology, and insurance industries in disputes involving breach of contract, common law fraud, securities fraud, fiduciary duty liability, deceptive trade practices, negligence, and catastrophic injury/wrongful death. Jim Spivey also represents clients in trust and probate litigation.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Texas A&M University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1992
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Co-Owner, Spivey Valenciano, PLLC, May 2012 to present
- Shareholder, Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated, 2001-May 2012
- Associate, Cox & Smith Incorporated, 1995-2001
- Selection for inclusion in 2018 Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation, a publication by Woodward/White, Inc. (honored consecutively since 2010)
- Selection for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers – 2018 – Eminent Domain, a Thompson Reuters Service
- Selection for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers – 2017 – Eminent Domain, a Thompson Reuters Service
- Selection for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2004; 2014-2018 –Commercial Litigation, a Thompson Reuters Service
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent TM Peer Review Rating
- S.A. Lawyers: Best of 2014 (Eminent Domain, Business Litigation, Real Estate Litigation) a publication of the San Antonio Scene Magazine
- Chambers USA, Leader in their Field, 2006-2007 and 2009-2012
- “Cross Examination Of Experts In Eminent Domain Cases” (CLE International, 2013 Annual Eminent Domain/Condemnation Seminar, Austin, Texas, March 2013)
- “Towers, Trenches and TxDot: Strategies from the Landowner’s Perspective” (with Soledad Valenciano to San Antonio Real Estate Discussion Group, January 2012)
- “Recent Developments in Eminent Domain Proceedings” (with Soledad Valenciano at 10th Annual Gas and Power Institute, Houston, Texas, September 2011)
- “Coming Soon to a Town Near You: Eminent Domain, the CREZ Project, the Shale Oil and Gas Boom and Other Takings” (with Soledad Valenciano to San Antonio Bar Association Natural Resources Section, September 2011)
- San Antonio Bar Association, 1995 – Present
- San Antonio Bar Foundation
- Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association, 2012 – Present
- William S. Sessions American Inn of Court, Member, 2002-2010
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Director, 2008-2011
- State Bar of Texas, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, Chair, 2002-2003
- State Bar of Texas, Council of Chairs, Vice Chair, 2002-2003
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association, Director, 2000-2002
- Defense Counsel of San Antonio, Director, 1999-2003
Jim Spivey is an avid hunter and fisherman. He spends his free time with his family on their Texas Hill Country ranch.
"I won’t lose a case because my opponent outworked me."
— Jim Spivey